This week has been taking FOREVER. Which I knew it would because I am literally counting down the hours until Saturday when FIVE, you read that right FIVE, of my best friends are coming to visit me! I am having a difficult time concentrating on anything besides planning our menus (because hello, I love food), picking out what signature drinks I will be serving (because hello, it’s a girls weekend) and planning all the things we need to do in the few short days they are here! The reason this is even MORE fun of a girls weekend is because these gals and I all went to college together, HERE at the University of Iowa! We will be living our glory days to the full extent. So over the next few days I will be trying out some recipes to share with the girls, cleaning our house (which currently has two dogs living in it…oh man), and finishing out the work week. Do you have any exciting Memorial Day plans? Do tell!
Between all of the excitement about this weekend, real life still goes on. And that means making breakfast, lunches and you guessed it…dinner. Just because I’m excited about something doesn’t mean I don’t eat! That would be ludicrous. I have been planning around with some of the staple items I keep in our kitchen and seeing what easy recipes I can share with you all to hopefully jazz up your weekly menu, but not break the bank or make you spend hours in the kitchen. We have been eating this Pesto Breakfast Hash all week and I love the savoriness and the mixture of texture from the sweet p’s, veggies and chicken sausage. It can totally be eaten by itself, over greens, or how I’ve been doing it this week – with an egg on it!
Pesto Breakfast Hash
- 2 T + 2 T avocado oil
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 package chicken sausage
- 3 T pesto
- Optional items for serving: eggs, tomatoes, basil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Dice all the veggies.
- In a bowl, toss sweet potatoes with 2 T of avocado oil, garlic powder & salt. Spread evenly on a lined baking sheet and put into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat a large sauté pan or cast iron skillet over med-high heat with the remaining 2 T of avocado oil.
- Once heated, add the peppers and onions and sauté until onions are translucent – about 8 minutes.
- While veggies are cooking, chop your chicken sausages into bite size pieces.
- When the peppers and onions are almost all the way cooked, add the chicken sausages and sauté another 3-4 minutes (the best part about these sausages are they are already cooked so you’re just heating them up!)
- Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven – if your pan is large enough, add them to the pan with the other ingredients. If it isn’t (like mine) add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and dump the contents of the pan into it as well.
- Add the 3 T of pesto and stir well to ensure everything is coated. Depending on your love of pesto (mine is quite high) you can add more!
- Serve into bowls and top with anything your heart desires or eat as is!
Alright, now let’s go out there and kick this Thursday’s you know what!
Sending Good Chives Your Way,