Summer is in full swing people! That means warm days soaking in every ounce of sunshine, nights spent eating dinner on the patio, and most of all busy BUSY schedules. This summer, amongst other things, I am going to work on making more time for things that make me “me”. Some days that may mean making a new recipe rather than doing the dishes, taking Grady for a long walk rather than running my allotted miles at the gym, or spending a rainy Sunday laying around with Ross rather than folding laundry. I have realized that life is moving SO FAST and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Maybe we can all start finding ways to incorporate our hobbies, passions, friends and loved ones into our day to day more & worry about all that adulting stuff THE NEXT day.
What got me blabbing about all of that you ask?! I be honest with you – it’s because I am continuing to struggle to balance day to day tasks that have to get done and the day to day things that I want to get done. The first way I am combatting that is to attempt to wake up earlier on weekdays. If you have been following my Instagram stories (good.chives if you haven’t!) you know that I tend to be more productive in the morning. I can get the dishes done, have a new recipe made and coffee ready to go between the hours of 5-7 AM. Then, BONUS EFFECT, going into work feeling already accomplished makes it seem easier to hit the ground running the second I get to my desk. And when I get home at night, that’s the “me” time. So far, so good… let’s keep this going! (That’s my pep talk for myself)
I really have no transition – other than quick recipes or things you can prepare ahead of time have always been, but even more so now, my JAM. And this Italian Turkey Stuffed Pepper recipe does not differ. Its simple, can be adjusted based on what you have on hand/your taste, can be prepared the day before then baked right before dinner, and heats up like a charm. Try it for dinner tonight or make it on Sunday for lunches for the week!
Italian Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 3 Bell Peppers, any color
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 T Oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Minced Garlic
- 1 T Italian Seasoning
- 1 can Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 T Basil
- 1 1/2 t Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 T Pesto
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (unless you are prepping to cook at a later time – don’t worry about the oven in that case!)
- Heat a large sauté pan over med-high heat with with 2 T oil of your choice (I have been using avocado oil)
- Once pan is hot, add the onions and sauté for 7-8 minutes or until translucent
- While the onions are cooking, prep the peppers by cutting them in half vertically and removing the seeds and place them in 9×13 pan
- When the onions are done – add the minced garlic and continue to stir for 30 seconds or until garlic becomes fragrant. Make sure your garlic doesn’t burn!
- Add the ground turkey, basil, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes – mix into the onion and garlic
- Cook until there is no more pink – once fully cooked add the can of diced tomatoes and let the liquid cook out for about 5 minutes
- Stir in the pesto, then scoop the mixture into the hollowed out peppers & cover the dish with foil
- If you are prepping this to be cooked at a later time, store in the refrigerator
- When you are ready to cook them, place the 9×13 dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. After the 25 minutes is up, check to make sure the peppers can be easily pierced with a fork – I then like to remove the foil and put the dish under the broiler for 3-4 minutes to crisp the tops
Some things that you could add to the mixture: cauliflower rice, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, marinara sauce, even regular rice or cheese if you eat those!
Sending Good Chives Your Way,