Things got a little wild in our house last night. I experimented with a new 30-minute dinner! Luckily for us, and you all, it was delicious. Like borderline TOO good for how easy it was.
Remember the Whole 30 pesto & the sweet potato noodles I prepped on Sunday? They were the star of this dish!
Chicken apple sausages add protein & sweetness to the meal and sautéed peppers & onions complete the dish.
May we talk for a second about chicken sausages? Here is the brand that I buy: Aidell’s Chicken Apple Sausage. I buy this brand/flavor for two reasons – 1) they taste delicious and are extremely versatile, you can add it to scrambles/hashes for breakfast, salads for lunch and “pasta”/casseroles for dinner. 2) this is the ONLY compliant chicken sausage I can find in our area! It bares repeating that I do love this flavor – but come on. How Hy-Vee, Costco & Fareway only have ONE flavor (not even brand) of chicken sausage that isn’t laden with things like milk, cheese or SUGAR is a bit insane. Anyway, regardless of the limited options – I loved the additional layer of flavor these chicken sausages brought to the dish!
OKAY, enough about sausages. Let’s get to the recipe! I may (or may not) have mentioned in previous posts that I am working on creating more Good Chives original recipes – this is one of them! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. 🙂
Sweet Potato Pesto Noodle Bowl
- 2 Tablespoons of oil (I used EVOO – but you could use avocado oil, coconut oil, etc…)
- 2 sweet potatoes – spiralized into noodles
- 2 bell peppers – sliced into strips (I used 1 red and 1 yellow)
- 1/2 yellow onion – sliced into strips
- 1 package of Aidell’s Chicken Apple Sausage, sliced into coins
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 Tablespoon of Whole 30 Pesto
- 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Heat 2 T of oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the sweet potato noodles & 1 teaspoon each of salt and garlic powder. Sauté for 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft. (Best way to know if they are ready? TASTE THEM!)
- Remove the sweet potato noodles from the pan and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add the sliced chicken sausage to the pan in a single layer. Allow the sausage to sit, undisturbed in the pan for 4-5 minutes – this allows the sausage to get nice and browned. After the 5 minutes, stir the chicken sausages around and cook for another 2-3 minutes. One of the great things about this chicken sausage is that it’s already cooked! So really, we are just browning & warming them up.
- While the chicken is cooking, add 3 Tablespoons of Whole 30 Pesto to the sweet potato noodles you set aside. Mix the pesto into the noodles & prepare for a glorious smell!
- Remove the chicken sausage from the pan and add to the sweet potato noodles.
- In the same pan we have been using (I love you, one pan recipes!) add the sliced peppers and onions, along with 1 teaspoon each of salt & garlic powder. (If your pan is dry – add another tablespoon of oil.) Note from the pictures: the sweet potato noodles burnt a little to the bottom of my pan – ain’t no way that was stopping me!
- Sauté the peppers and onions for 7-8 minutes, until the peppers are soft & onions are translucent.
- Remove the peppers/onions from the pan and add to the sweet potato bowl – combine all ingredients well.
- Top with the additional 1 Tablespoon of pesto and mix it up, again!
I am not kidding when I say that somehow, someway all of the flavors in this dish came together to make one of the best 30 minute, one-pan meals we have had in quite some time. Of course, this would have taken longer (still doable, but longer) if I hadn’t prepped the sweet potato noodles & pesto ahead of time. Meal Prep Sunday coming in clutch.
Sending Good Chives Your Way,